What is Microneedling?
Microneedling is a form of Collagen Induction Therapy (CIT), meaning it induces micro-injuries to the skin to stimulate self-repair through new collagen synthesis. Collagen synthesis results in younger, smoother, and firmer-looking skin.
After applying a topical numbing gel to the skin, we use a sterile-tip applicator on the skin. Each applicator is equipped with 12 small needles. As the pen is moved across your skin, the needles pulse up and down very quickly to create the micro-injuries.
We love pairing this treatment with our Vampire Facial to produce almost instantaneous results for a younger-looking face.
- Improves appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Shrinks large pores
- Helps fade pigmentation, acne scars, and superficial scars
- Improves the appearance of cellulite and small stretch marks
How do I get started?
Contact us below to learn more about how we can help your skin look firmer and smoother with microneedling, or submit an online consultation form to get started.
Frequently Asked Questions
The most common areas include:
- Forehead and cheeks
- Perioral region (around the mouth)
- Under the eyes
- Décolleté area (upper chest)
The microneedling pen tip can be adjusted to different treatment depths. The more superficial depths are commonly not felt at all or can be described as a piece of light sandpaper brushing the skin.
When the pen is adjusted to achieve a deeper depth, the treatment area may be more sensitive. The combination of the topical gel and the speed of the pulsing applicator help reduce discomfort.
15-30 minutes, but may take more time depending on the size and depth of skin that needs treating.
We recommend 2-3 treatments done over 1-2 months to achieve the best results. A small number of people may need additional treatments for deep wrinkles, stretch marks, or acne scars. Our skincare experts will create an individualized treatment plan for you.
There is no pre-care required.
For a full post-treatment plan, please see the “Microneedling take home instructions” in the box to the right. A quick run-down of post-care includes:
- Avoid direct sunlight during the peel phase.
- Wear SPF 45-50 and reapply every 2 hours.
- Avoid strenuous exercise and sweating until after skin is healed.
- Limit activity in hot tubs, extremely warm/hot showers, and saunas.
- Avoid any other facial treatment for 4 weeks.
After the treatment, the skin will appear red and flushed. This will decrease significantly in a few hours, and will be completely gone in 24 hours. After 72 hours, the skin will return to normal or near-normal appearance.
Over the next 6 months, collagen production continues improving your skin.
For more information, please see the “Microneedling consent form” in the box to the right. Our licensed skin care experts will work with you to minimize discomfort and/or side effects.
- Small amount of pinpoint bleeding
- Temporary skin tightness and mild sensitivity to the touch
- Peeling or skin flaking within the first 48-96 hours post-treatment
Microneedling is a good treatment for many people, however, there are some contraindications:
- Keloid scares
- Eczema history
- Blood clots
- Collagen vascular disease
- Pregnant or lactating women
Our providers will discuss your health history and the full list of contraindications when you come in for a free consultation.