What is Sclerotherapy?
80 million Americans have some kind of venous disorder, 80% of which are cosmetic. Despite most not being indicative of a major circulatory disorder, visible veins can give the impression of older age and poorer health. Varicose, spider, and reticular veins develop based on genetics, age, pregnancies, obesity, and even professions with frequent periods of standing. Most people want a treatment, but are not aware of the safeness and effectiveness of Sclerotherapy.
What Symptoms Can Sclerotherapy Improve?
- Reticular, spider, and small varicose veins
- Bulging veins
- “Ugly” veins
- Superficial symptoms worse with standing (aching, burning, throbbing, itchy, fullness, heaviness)
What are the Treatment Areas?
Typical treatment locations are the legs, knees, and ankles.
What Pre-Treatment Care Do I Need?
It is important to follow our expert’s pre-treatment instructions:
- You will need to wear or bring shorts to the visit so our provider can see your legs for examination. Do not wear tight jeans or constricting clothing.
- Bring your compression stockings to your visit.
- You may shave your legs the morning of your treatment, but do not use any lotions or moisturizers.
What Does the Treatment Feel Like?
There is minimal-to-no discomfort, although you may feel a slight pinch with each injection.
How Long Does One Treatment Take?
One treatment typically takes 30 minutes, depending on the size of the area to be treated. If there are multiple areas, we will usually start with the reticular veins, as they feed into the spider veins, and then move on to area-specific spider veins. Additional treatments may be necessary, as there is a limit to the amount of sclerosant that can be injected in one day. Our provider will partner with you for a treatment plan unique to you.
How Many Treatments are Recommended?
Our experts will work with you to personalize a treatment plan based on your vein needs and the level of improvement you desire. If veins are extensive, additional treatments may be needed.
What Should I Expect After the Treatment? How Long Will it Take to Recover?
This procedure usually results in temporarily small “mosquito bites”, reddish-brown bruising, or black and blue marks (that will change to a yellowish color) at the injection sites. Bruising will usually fade within a week and should be completely gone in two weeks. Clients may experience some mild discomfort (including hard or lumpy veins) along the treated veins, but this should also fade. Allow 3-4 weeks for complete resolution; in older patients, it can take up to 8 weeks for complete resolution.
If you experience severe leg pain, swelling, or have difficulty walking, please contact us.
What Aftercare Do I Need?
It is important to follow our expert’s aftercare instructions:
- First 48 hours – Do not remove the bandages and compression stocking applied by your doctor. Do not take a bath or shower; keep bandages dry. Do not shave your legs until 48 hours post-treatment.
- After 48 hours (Days 3-7) – Remove the post-treatment bandages, but continue to wear a compression stocking.
- First 7 days – Do not participate in strenuous exercise. Avoid hot baths and saunas. Avoid direct sunlight for at least 5 days, then always use at least an SPF 15 sunscreen.
- First 14 days – Continue wearing compression stock day and night (only take off for showers).
- First 28 days – Walk daily for a minimum of 10 minutes. Avoid sitting or standing for long stretches of time (such as car or plane rides).
Am I a Candidate?
Most clients are able to get the Sclerotherapy treatment, however, some clients may not be eligible if they:
- Have uncontrolled high blood pressure
- Have prior allergic reaction to sclerosants
- Have had failures of recent or past cosmetic sclerotherapy
How Do I Get Started?
Contact us below to learn more about how we can treat your spider, reticular, and varicose veins with Sclerotherapy, or submit an online consultation form to setup a free consultation. Our medical providers will work with you to develop a treatment plan to help you reach your beauty goals!