The Truth About PRP: Why You Need It
By Kaitlyn Hunter, MedSpa Nurse Practitioner
What is PRP? How long has it been used for? Where does it go and what is the benefit? Today, we’re going to answer all of these questions and give you an insider’s view of one of the latest inventions for youthful skin and good sexual health.
What is PRP?
PRP (short for platelet-rich plasma) is the best part of your blood. When you have any treatment with PRP, we draw your blood, put the tubes in a centrifuge, and spin it down so the top layer is just PRP (it’s the yellow stuff in the picture above).
Platelet-rich plasma has been used for many years, especially in orthopedic medicine. A lot of athletes have chronic pain, torn tendons, and just a lot of inflammation. So, they have trained medical providers inject PRP into those joints to help with the healing process.
In the MedSpa, we use it for a variety of treatments. One of the most popular is called the Vampire Facial.
You put it where?
Although it sounds scary, it’s really not that bad. Basically, it combines PRP with microneedling.
First, we numb your face with topical numbing cream. Then, we clean it off and put the PRP on your skin and use the microneedling pen to pass over the face. As the pen moves, little needles pulse up and down into the skin, creating little “micro injuries”.
The Platelet-rich plasma seeps down into those tiny injuries to help the skin heal itself. You’ll see an improvement with the overall skin tone, texture, even fine lines and wrinkles. It’s truly a rejuvenating treatment.
PRP can also be used for sexual health treatments. We use it here at Your Wellness Center for erectile dysfunction (ED) and for females who have a lack of sexual satisfaction. We have more information on those services here:
- O-Shot – a specialized treatment for women
- P-Shot + Z Wave – a combination treatment for men with ED issues
Why is PRP better than other stuff?
A lot of patients ask me why they should use platelet-rich plasma for treatment over another product. Well, there are quite a few benefits:
- No allergic reaction (it is coming from your own blood)
- Holistic treatment (your own genetic material vs. factory-created product)
- Your skin absorbs it better and gets a greater benefit
Isn’t it messy?
You probably have seen faces after the Vampire Facial has been done. Kim Kardashian’s photo is one of the most famous because it does look scary.
There are 2 causes for a bloody face:
- Only partial separation of blood cells and PRP – A lot of centrifuges use laser separators and sometimes it doesn’t fully separate the platelet-rich plasma from your red blood cells. This causes the PRP to change from its normal yellow color to a red-ish color. So, you’re basically infusing a red serum on your skin.
- Mirconeedling can produce pinpoint bleeding – The deeper you go, the more pinpoint bleeding you are going to get.