Simple Morning Skincare Routine for Acne-Prone Skin
By Alison, Licensed Esthetician & Cosmetologist
Today I’m going to walk you through my easy, 4-step, morning skincare routine. If you’re new to skincare or looking to change things up because you’re not seeing results, you’ve come to the right place.
Everyone’s skin is unique, so use this guide as a foundation in building your own skincare routine and don’t be afraid to try new things. Let’s get started…
Step 1: Cleanser
The first step in my morning skincare routine, as should be in any, is to wash my face using my favorite cleanser: SkinBetter’s Oxygen Infusion Wash. I love this product due to the burst of oxygen in it. It lathers nicely, which is something I look for in a cleanser.
This cleanser works great for those with normal-to-oily skin. I’m also very acne-prone and I find that it helps keep my outbreaks at bay.
How to apply:
- Wet your face with lukewarm water
- 1 pump into the palm of your hand
- Rub your hands together until the cleanser begins to lather.
- Apply in circular motions all over the face and neck. A good rule of thumb for how long to wash your face is to sing the ABC’s in your head.
Step 2: Serum
Next in my morning skincare routine, I grab SkinBetter’s Alto Defense which helps to calm any redness in the skin and delivers over 19 antioxidants. It also helps to fight off any free radicals, which is vital in any skincare routine (Kaitlyn talks about why in one of her previous blogs on Vitamin C).
The Alto Defense Serum is specifically designed to protect and improve the appearance of uneven skin tone and redness. So if you’re struggling with either of these issues, definitely give it a try.
How to apply:
- 2 pumps on your fingertips
- In gentle, circular motions, rub it all over your face (including forehead). You can even apply as needed to your neck and chest.
Step 3: Moisturizer
For the moisturizer step in my morning skincare routine, I cannot get enough of SkinBetter’s Interfuse Face. This provides a layer of breathable moisture on your face, while also helping to lift and firm the skin. It’s great for the neck too.
How to apply:
- 2 pumps on fingertips (or back of your hand)
- Again in gentle, circular motions, starting rubbing it in, starting at your forehead and moving all the way down onto your neck. This, again, helps to firm up the neck and decrease the appearance of fine lines- which most of us, myself included, suffer from.
Step 4: SPF
For sunscreen as part of my morning skincare routine, my go-to is EltaMD’s UV Elements SPF 44. This SPF is meant specifically for the face. Not only is it oil-free, it also provides moisture from hyaluronic acid; it’s one of my favorite products. You should apply sunscreen every single day to avoid any kind of sun damage.
It also has a nice tint in it to help cover up blemishes and blend any skin tone, leaving a nice, dewy finish. Sometimes when I want more coverage, I’ll even mix in a little of my foundation with the SPF and then apply makeup as needed.
How to apply:
- 1 pump on fingertips (or again, the back of your hand)
- Gently apply the SPF all over the face, making sure everything is rubbed in. To mix with your foundation, blend the two together on your hand before applying to the face.
Skincare Does Not Have to be Complicated
As you can see, my skincare routine is fairly simple. Sometimes in skincare, less is more. We may each fall under certain skin types like “oily” or “dry”, but not everything works for everyone and you have to find what works best for you.
If you are still a little unsure of where to start, check out some of our other blogs “How to Clear Acne Once and for All” and “The 3 Worst Skincare Ingredients (and How to Avoid Them).”
Looking for a skincare routine that best fits your unique skin type? We can help. We’ll sit down, discuss your concerns and goals, and craft a personalized routine just for you. To schedule your free skincare consultation, please give us a call at 513-791-9474.