Lips & Lifts: Your Guide to Body Confidence
By Kaitlyn Hunter, FNP
“I want to age gracefully, but I feel like everything on my face is falling.” “My lips! They are so thin that when I smile, my upper lip disappears.”
I hear statements like these from women all the time, but the stresses of the New Year, looking ahead to Valentine’s Day, and spring getaway planning tend to make more women vocal about body insecurities. Plus, they have the added pressure to look youthful while also “aging gracefully” – and they feel like they can’t use any “unnatural” products to do so!
As a certified dermal filler injector, I’m here to break down this stigma and give you the confidence to invest in yourself with a little aesthetic magic.
Before you get a lip filler, you should know…
- Lip filler typically lasts anywhere from 12 to 24 months. This depends on the type of filler used, the skill of the injector, and how fast your body metabolizes the filler.
- Your injector can reverse the filler if you change your mind. Hyaluronic Acid is not permanent, and can be easily dissolved.
- You may feel minimal discomfort, but injections are not painful.Our providers apply a high strength topical numbing cream to your lips prior to injection.
- Injections are quick. After a quick chat to reaffirm your aesthetic goals, injections typically only take about 10 minutes.
- There’s almost zero downtime. Although your lips may swell or bruise for up to 3 days after your procedure, you can go about your normal schedule as soon as your appointment is over.
- Yes, your lips will feel real. A master injector knows how and where to inject so your lips won’t feel any different than natural lips.
- No, you won’t look like a Kardashian or Angelina Jolie. Despite the media’s portrayal of lip filler, it’s hard to look “overdone” or “ducky”. One syringe of filler is only 1/5 of a teaspoon. It is very expensive to look like Kim or Kylie.
And don’t forget your voluminous lifts…
- Filler is made from a naturally-occurring substance. Although Hyaluronic Acid sounds scary, it is actually a substance found in our own skin.
- Cheek filler typically lasts anywhere from 12 to 24 months. This depends on the amount, type, and location of your injections.
- Treatment takes about 5-10 minutes. After that, you’re free to resume your daily activities.
- Some bruising, swelling, or sensitivity is normal. Your injection site may be a little sore after your treatment, but should fade after a few days. Avoid Aspirin and anti-inflammatory medications, as this could increase chances of bruising.
- Filler is for men, too. Although commonly portrayed in the media as a treatment for women, men can also benefit from a youthful cheek lift. In fact, both genders have been using fillers for over 100 years!
- Filler can help fight lines and wrinkles. In addition to restoring lost cheek volume, filler can actually help smooth out lines and wrinkles. A win-win!
- Only visit a professional for filler. No one wants a botched job or anything that makes them look “stuffed”, so choose an expert like our Family Nurse Practitioners. They have been trained in this specific procedure, and have successfully injected hundreds of men and women.