Weight Loss Programs: Tips on Selecting One & How to Avoid Gimmicks
It may seem like losing weight should be as simple as eating less and exercising more. But the reality is that weight loss programs vary in how they work and the results you’ll see. Everyone has an opinion and a program they think is “the best,” but weight loss programs are not one size fits all. In this guide, we’ll tell you what to look for in a non-surgical weight loss program (and what to avoid!) so you can choose the program best suited for your goals.
If losing weight is your goal, a conversation with your healthcare provider is the best place to start. Your provider will review health conditions and medications that impact your efforts to lose weight and recommend a program that is right for you.
Selecting a Weight Loss Program
When you are looking at a potential weight loss program, there are some things you’ll want to consider.
- What have you tried in the past? Have you followed specific diets or plans before? What did you like or not like about them? How did you feel while you were on the plan?
- What type of program are you looking for? Are you someone that needs group support? Or do you prefer an individual approach? Do you like group meetings? Or online forums?
- What is your budget for the weight loss program? Some programs require you to purchase food and supplements in addition to the cost of clinic visits and support meetings.
- Additional concerns. Health conditions, allergies, religious or ethnic food requirements, and preferences impact your ability to follow a weight loss program.
You should look for a flexible plan that includes a balance and variety of food choices, foods you like and can stick with long term, and factors in physical activity. But remember that beyond the number on the scale, weight loss programs can change the way you feel and the quality of your life.
Patients in our Cincinnati weight loss program experience the following:
- More energy and easier breathing
- Improvement in diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol allowing them to decrease medication requirements
- Ability to play with kids or grandkids again
- More effortless movement and less joint pain
- Improved sleep and feeling more rested
- More confidence and improved body image
How Can You Avoid Gimmicks in Weight Loss Programs?
Let’s face it; weight loss is big business. Fad diets and diet gimmicks promise quick weight loss that often avoids the work of dieting and exercise. But these types of gimmicks all have one thing in common. The solution they offer is temporary. Once you stop whatever the trick is, you’ll regain the weight. Check out previous blog here on why diets typically don’t work and why you should focus on longer-term solutions!
Anything that sounds too good to be true probably is. Diets or plans that don’t incorporate healthy eating habits, exercise, and behavior change are ones to avoid.
Here’s how to spot a gimmick:
- The plan promises a quick fix
- Lack of medical studies to support the claims
- Lists of “good” and “bad” foods (look into Food Sensitivity Testing if you need that list!)
- The plan is based on a specific book or product
- Recommendations to eliminate particular groups of foods
- Diets with testimonials
Can I Lose Weight Without a Diet?
Unfortunately, the answer to this question isn’t a simple yes or no. It depends on what you consider a “diet.” Losing weight will require changes in lifestyle habits. Some of these relate to your diet. You may need to eat smaller portions, drink more water, and track what and when you eat.
But in our non-surgical weight loss programs, we also consider that you might need treatment for things like hormonal imbalances or thyroid conditions that impact your weight and body composition. We want to give you the tools and education you need to sustain your progress and success well beyond the program!
How Can I Sustain a Weight Loss Program?
If you’ve had success through a local weight loss program, regaining weight is a concern for many patients. Our Cincinnati weight loss program is designed with a goal of maintenance built-in. Once you’ve reached your program goals, we’ll help you transition to a maintenance phase. During this phase, you’ll learn how to continue a healthy lifestyle that supports your goals. You’ll receive individualized support and tools to optimize your results throughout each program phase.
If you’d like to learn more about not just losing weight but improving your health, you can check out our non-surgical Cincinnati weight loss programs at this link or fill out our online consultation form to have one of our specialists contact you.