Health Post-Quarantine: 5 Ways to Reclaim It
If you are like most, quarantine life has been challenging, to say the least. Many are struggling mentally, emotionally, and physically. Many changes in our routine have undoubtedly affected our health post-quarantine.
Weight concerns are deeply rooted in our culture, but worrying about weight gain during a pandemic only adds to your stress. So while you shouldn’t spend time obsessing about your weight, it’s still encouraged to live as healthfully as possible.
Here are a few ways you can reclaim your health post-quarantine!
Create a Daily Routine
Experts say keeping your routine– whether a new one or the one before COVID-19- is an important part in helping maintain your mental and physical health. One way we can do this is by sticking to designated meal and snack times and planning meals in advance. This will help to:
- Avoid grazing on foods throughout the day while you are at home
- Regulate consumption and prevent overindulgence
- Avoid the temptation on ordering out take-out foods
Practice Mindful Eating
There are many factors that contribute to mindless eating, which can result in eating too much when not hungry or overeating. To name a few: stress, boredom, emotion, anxiety or being out of your routine. Mindful Eating can help you develop and maintain a healthy relationship with food. Here are some tips to help you:
- Remove distractions. Take a break from screens such as TVs, computers, phones etc. while eating.
- Sit down. Avoid eating on the go. It’s difficult to be aware of how much or how fast you are eating when you are on the go.
- Resist eating straight from the bag/box. Serve out food on a plate to better help control portions.
Reflect. Take a moment to reflect on how you feel. After you have taken this moment to reflect, then you can choose if you want to eat, what you want to eat, and how you want to eat.
Move Your Body
Physical activity benefits both the body and mind. Concerning your health post-quarantine, physical activity is highly encouraged. With many closures of gyms and comfort levels of going back into public space, those who have committed to a fitness routine might find themselves in a bind.
Fortunately, there are plenty of exercises and ways that you can stay physically active, while at home, such as:
- Follow an online exercise class. Many fitness studios are also offering online classes while they are closed
- Get creative. You might not have all the equipment you need, but you can use your own body weight for resistance by doing squats, lunges, and planks
- Plan a time in your schedule for physical activity each day
Take advantage of the warm weather and get outside for a walk and some fresh air.
Adequate water and fluid intake is crucial to staying healthy and maintaining the function of every system in your body, including your heart, brain and muscles. It is inevitable that distractions may get in the way of you drinking enough water. Follow these hydration techniques to help you meet your goals:
- Track your fluid intake through various apps that are available.
- Purchase a larger water bottle so you only fill it up 1-2 times instead of 6-8 times.
- For a refreshing boost, you can add slices of lemon, cucumber, berries, or mint.
- Try drinking a glass of water before every meal.
- Avoid drinking large amounts of coffee, tea, soft drinks, and energy drinks. These may lead to dehydration.
Be sure to check out my other blog “5 Proven Ways Hydration is Key for Weight Loss” by clicking here!
Try New Recipes
During regular life, many individuals often say the reason they do not explore new recipes is because they do not have time to prepare them. Take advantage of spending longer periods of time at home and the make those recipes you previously did not have time to make.
You might also have a new opportunity to share meals together with your family! Here are a few summer recipe ideas!
- Grilled Strawberry Balsamic Chicken Kabobs
- Super Quick Avocado Shrimp Salad
- Pan Seared Salmond Avocado Gremolata
- Kale and Butternut Squash Salad with Pears and Almonds
- Blackened Tilapia Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
As we all navigate this new normal, take time for yourself and make your health a priority. Hopefully, you can take away some of the ideas and concepts I shared and implement them into your life. Reclaiming your health post-quarantine won’t happen overnight, so start one step at a time. If you have questions or if you are interested in getting some extra help with weight loss, fill out our initial consultation form. We’d love to hear from you!
While you’re here, be sure to check out some of our blogs below:
- Antioxidants: Benefits and How to Get More
- Metabolism: How it Works and How to Optimize It
- Probiotics & Prebiotics: What Are They?